2018 - We celebrate 43 years!
Special Thanks to all of our dedicated members who've made this possible!
The entries below are updated frequently however we send email announcements to advise members and participants about sudden and late breaking events.
With this said, we strongly recommend that you click on the YELLOW button above and scan the subject lines of our recent email notices.
Also, if you are looking for meeting dates and times or match information, please take a look at our Calendar of Events! (the calendar is updated very often and should contain the latest times and dates for our club)
- 05/20/2017 - It is with a heavy heart that we learn of the passing of The DOG. Mr. L. Wayne Peacock. To read about some of Wayne's contributions to GMSA, please navigate your cursor to the top - left of your screen and click on the picture of the granite sign with the bronze marker. Wayne's full obituary is published in the Toccoa Record but is summarized below.
- 05/15/2017 - L. Wayne “Dog” Peacock, age 82 of Horse Cave KY, passed away Monday, May 15, 2017 at his residence. He was native of Miami Florida. A member of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Toccoa, Ga. He and his wife moved to Horse Cave one year ago. He was a retired electrical engineer and a U.S. Air Force Veteran of the Korean War. He was a graduate of Georgia Tech and He was C.E.O., President, and Chairman of the Board for Hybrid Systems. "Dog" will forever be remembered and honored for his commitment and contributions to the Georgia Mountain Shooting Association in Eastanollee, GA.
- 05/01/2017 -CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. John Sluder of Cleveland, Ga who had the winning ticket for the Glock Pistol Raffle.
- 12/05/2016 -CONGRATULATIONS to Mrs. Jennifer Mercure of Toccoa, GA who had the winning ticket for the Remington 870 Express Tactical Shotgun or Glock 43 pistol.
- 12/05/2016 - Regretfully, GMSA is no longer able to host Project Appleseed events. We have enjoyed many years with the Appleseed folks and they are a fine group to have worked with however we ran into a hurdle at the end of the 2016 season where the GMSA Appleseed Liaison(s) were both unable to be present at an Appleseed event. GMSA is a private gun club and our club's by-laws require that a club member be present at all times there are guests on the property. For years, we had two excellent club members who were very active in Project Appleseed but one of those members quit the club and the remaining Appleseed-active member is unable to "guarantee" that he could be at every Appleseed event. Unfortunately, our club by-laws and associated insurance policy do not allow us to have an open to the public shooting facility. As a result of this, the Project Appleseed coordinators for NEGA have decided to hold 2017 matches at a nearby public range. As an alternate plan, GMSA offered the Appleseed organization a transferable club membership as a work around for the requirements - but they did not wish to proceed in that direction. It is with regret that we see them go, and we wish them success in the future but our corporate structure just does not allow us to operate as a public range.
- 10/04/2016 - The officer nominating committee for 2017 elections has been formed. To nominate a GMSA member for a 2017 officer position, please send an email with the name of the person you are nominating to email@example.com.
- 10/03/2016 - Raffle tickets for the Remington 870 Express Tactical Shotgun or Glock 43 pistol go on sale! Tickets are $5 each. Please see the fundraiser page for complete details. All club disciplines will have tickets on hand at every match. Be sure and see your Match Director at your next shoot. Match Directors may print out this flyer for use during their matches. Several club members who were in attendance at October's monthly meeting also have tickets to sell. Any GMSA member in good standing may also sell tickets and receive range work credit for tickets sold! Please see any GMSA officer to get your tickets for selling!
- 09/05/2016 - The permanent restrooms at the 50 yard range are now open and available for GMSA member use. There is a dark grey key box on the front wall. Special thank you to Mr. Tom Estes for fabricating the box! The GMSA front gate key fits this padlock and inside is the key to the restrooms. Please note that the key inside the lock box DOES NOT fit the center door of the restroom building. The center door is the chase area that contains all of the plumbing, drains and utilities. Nothing to hide in there, we just did not feel that everyday members needed access to the utility area.
- 07/30/2016 - CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Isaiah Meads of Carnesville, GA who had the winning ticket for the YETI 45 Quart Tundra cooler. This was a fast and furious raffle and tickets were only sold for 38 days. Despite the short sell time, we still managed to sell 100 tickets! The drawing was held on July 30, 2016 and Mr. Isaiah Meads (left in picture) of Carnesville, GA was the winner! Mr. Meads, pictured here with our very own Greg Pruitt (right) is a Fireman for Athens Clarke County and we are sure this cooler will come in handy at the fire hall while he's on duty. We'd like to sincerely thank Isaiah for his service to our community and for the support of our club. Very few are more deserving than Isaiah - to win this super cool (pun intended), cooler. We are considering another YETI cooler raffle before fall hunting season. Folks, give us some feedback and we we just may be able to pull off another cooler giveaway.
- 01/04/2016 - At our first club meeting of the new year, the gate keys were changed. If you missed this meeting, your dues are now due, please click here to see options for paying your dues. New officers were also elected, the GMSA Officers for 2016 are Jerry Ginn - President, Matt Kervin - Vice President, Ronnie Milford - Secretary & Treasurer, Jim Hudak - Chief Instructor & Safety Officer, Greg Pruitt - Executive Officer.
- 01/04/2016 - Also during our first meeting of the new year, the GMSA Officers launched a new incentive program intended to increase GMSA member participation in range work and club activities. To kick off the program and to drive home the "...We don't want your money...we need your participation..." concept, The GMSA Officers wrote the names of all GMSA members who performed and documented their 10 hours of range work for 2015 on a ticket and placed the tickets in the raffle basket for a drawing. The GMSA member who's name was on the winning ticket was awarded a $500 (five hundred dollar) gift certificate to Franklin Gun Shop in Athens, GA. Congratulations to Mr. Russell Shirley for winning the $500 gift certificate. The GMSA Officers are excited to launch this new incentive program and will hold the same drawing, for at least the same amount ($500) for the 2016 calendar year. Next drawing - January 2017!
- 12/07/2015 - GMSA dues for physical year 2016 have been raised to $200 with a $100 credit to be given for 10 hours range work. This dues raise passed by a unanimous vote of the GMSA members present at December's club meeting (where dues are set for the following year). Just prior to the voting session, and again after the vote passed, Our GMSA Officers reminded everyone that "...We don't want your money...we need your participation [in club activities]..." This dues increase will not affect members renewing in January 2016. Range work requirements are based upon, and credited for, the previous calendar year in which you were a member. Membership renewals due in Jan 2016 will be $150 with a $50 credit given for 10 hours range work (performed during 2015). Membership renewals due in Jan 2017 will be $200 with a $100 credit given for 10 hours range work (performed during 2016). Please note that the above dues increase ONLY raises the "fee" for a member who does not perform GMSA range work. (tasks on the to-do list, building or repairing target stands, helping out at a match, setting up matches, etc) GMSA basic membership dues have remained unchanged for over 10 years!
- 11/02/2015 - CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Rodney Perry of Hull, GA! Rodney was the winner of the 5.5-22 X 56 NightForce Rifle Scope! We drew the winning ticket at our regular monthly club meeting on Monday, November 2nd, 2015.
- 11/02/2015 - Again by popular vote of the Tactical Pistol Shooters, our annual shoot at the Toccoa Police Department Range will be held on Saturday, December 19. This match will take place of our regularly scheduled Tactical Pistol Match.
- 10/17/2015 - CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Chris Chavis of Lexington, SC! Chris was the winner of our NightForce Competetion Rifle Scope! We drew the winning ticket at our IBS State Match on Saturday, October 17th, 2015.
- 09/14/2015 -PLEASE DO NOT shoot at anything laying on the ground! ALL BULLETS MUST IMPACT THE RANGE BERMS! We found a shot up "tin can" left behind on the rifle range which indicates that someone (maybe trespassers) is plinking at tin cans laying directly on the ground at the rifle range. This is not safe and will cause rounds to skip outside our property. Please, all rounds must impact the back berm of the range. If you observe anyone shooting at anything directly off the ground on the rifle range, whether it be a GMSA member or trespasser, please take a picture, get a name or something so we can deal with these safety violations promptly. All range safety violations may be discreetly reported to any officer by phone call or contact us link. All members, please be reminded that ROUNDS LEAVING THE RANGE CAUSED GMSA TO BE SHUT DOWN SEVERAL YEARS AGO - LET'S NOT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN! GMSA is YOUR club and reporting violators PROTECTS YOUR RANGE from being CLOSED!
- 09/14/2015 - We now have running water along the road to the pistol bays and at the multipurpose shelter. Once the restrooms are built (near the porta-potties at the 50 yard range), we will also have a spigot on the building. Please feel free to use the water but also be on the lookout for vandals that might turn them on and leave them on.
- 09/14/2015 - PLEASE be careful of cross-lane (diagonally) shooting on the 50yd and the 300 yd rifle range. This is how our shelters got shot up and we are once again seeing fresh bullet holes along the tree line at the 300 yd rifle range. Remember, all rounds must impact the berm at the back of the range. Not the trees and shelters please.
- 09/14/2015 - The 50 yd range grading is complete. We hope to have some ground cover within the next few weeks but the full range is now usable.
- 05/04/2015 - Raffle tickets for the NightForce scopes go on sale! Tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20! Please see the fundraiser page for complete details. All club disciplines will have tickets on hand at every match. Be sure and see your Match Director at your next shoot. Match Directors may print out this flyer for use during their matches. Several club members who were in attendance at May's monthly meeting also have tickets to sell. We would like to recognize Mr. Clifford Cabe, GMSA member who bought the first $100 batch of scope raffle tickets. Way to go Clifford! We sincerely appreciate your support!
- 04/25/2015 - ROAD CONSTRUCTION AFFECTS ACCESS TO GMSA Shooting can't stand in the way of progress but that progress can get in the way of shooting! Please accept our apologies but the normal turn off (from US Hwy 17) at the Eastanollee Post Office has been detoured to make way for the US Hwy 17 improvements. We have no idea how long this detour will take but just to be safe, we made up a small map showing how to take Livestock Road to get to the club. Normal access from Wolf Pit Rd via Hwy 145 is unaffected but click here for Hwy 17 Detour.
- 04/06/2015 - CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Jeff Spratlin of Royston, GA! Jeff was the winner of our Glock pistol drawing. We drew the winning ticket at our regular monthly meeting. Jeff was present at the drawing so we snapped a quick picture. Please excuse the poor photograph as the sight picture and trigger pull on an iPhone just ain't like that of a 1911. We would like to extend a sincere thanks to Guns & Gear in Lavonia for providing the pistol and handling the 4473 paperwork for the winner
- 02/01/2015 - GMSA mailing address change! Please note that we have moved our PO box to the Eastanollee Post Office. This move was done in order to have the mail physically closer to the club and more apt to be checked on a regular basis. The old Toccoa PO box was likely opened back when we were on Prather Bridge Road and the officers of GMSA all lived in town. Since we moved to Eastanollee in 1995, it just made sense to finally move the mail to Eastanollee as well. After all, you go right by the Eastanollee Post Office on the way to the club anyway. As luck would have it, PO box 188 was available at the Eastanollee Post Office so we have the same PO box - just a different city and zip code. Please make a note of our new mailing address - GMSA Inc. - PO Box 188 - Eastanollee, GA 30538. We have tried very hard to update all of the club forms and communications but we may have missed one hiding in the corner. The Toccoa PO box has been closed and forwarding services will expire in 2016.
- 01/10/2015 - The door knob and deadbolt on the clubhouse front door has been replaced. It is keyed the same as the old one and as always, the key is in the lock box beside the steps; gate key opens lock box. Also, thanks to Mr. Tom Estes, we now have a lock box on the shotgun range. Please make note that the keys (and remote control) to the shotgun throwers are now kept in this new lock box; gate key opens lock box. The padlocks on the multipurpose building and power box have been swapped out. Our old ones were light duty and had started to malfunction. These new locks do not use the same key as the old locks. Please contact Ronnie Milford if you need a new key to the multipurpose building. New locks were also installed on the basement door. Please contact a club officer if you have a need for an individual basement key but as always, there is a basement key in the combination lock box and combination has not been changed.
- 01/05/2015 - At our first club meeting of the new year, the gate keys were changed. If you missed this meeting, please make arrangements to meet with an officer to pay your 2015 dues and get a new key. New officers were also elected. GMSA Officers for 2015 are Jerry Ginn - President, Matt Kervin - Vice President, Ronnie Milford - Secretary & Treasurer, Jim Hudak - Chief Instructor & Safety Officer, Charles Ferree - Executive Officer.
- 01/05/2015 - Our first two fundraisers for 2015 are now underway. We are selling raffle tickets for a Glock pistol from Guns & Gear in Lavonia. As before, only 100 tickets will be sold and we will hold a drawing as soon as tickets sell out. Second, we are selling GMSA 40th Anniversary knives. Glock raffle tickets are available at any GMSA event and please see a club officer to if you would like to buy knives.
- 01/05/2015 - NOTICE: Due to the ongoing work on the 50 yard range, all turkey shoots scheduled for February will be held on the shotgun range. Continuing thanks to Mr. Bill Mercure for his ongoing efforts on the 50 yard range work. He is doing a real nice job and during the last torrential downpour, there was very little erosion on the range floor. Bill's efforts are working!
- 12/22/2014 - Much needed roof repairs and soffit work was completed on the clubhouse. Thanks to a new tin roof, the leaky front porch is a thing of the past. Also, while the workers had their scaffolding up, we had them replace the old plastic facia board along the roof line as well as finish installing the rear soffit on the back of the clubhouse. On a closing note, during roof repairs, the crews found where someone had, (possibly many years ago) been shooting 22LR bullets into the clubhouse roof overhang beside the electricity weather head. As the shingles were being trimmed away for the tin, several bullets were found lodged just under the shingles. There is rumor floating around that about 10 years ago, a member chased a black snake out of the basement and it escaped out through the basement wall and up the power mast and sought refuge on the overhang, where allegedly, it was dispatched with a 22 rifle. It is very likely that the snake living in our basement - did not do as much damage to the clubhouse as his herpetophobic assailant did with the rifle. Truth or legend? whatever the case, folks, please don't shoot our clubhouse.
- 11/03/2014 - CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. John Merk of Jefferson, GA! John was the winner of our AR-15 rifle drawing. We drew the winning ticket at our regular monthly meeting and with the excitement of this being our first major raffle drawing, we forgot to take pictures of the drawing. John was not present at the drawing but we have asked for pictures at the store of him picking up his rifle. We would like to extend a sincere thanks to Country Boy Sports in Homer for providing the rifle and handling the 4473 paperwork for the winner! Also, we'd like to recognize GMSA member Scott Harrison for drawing the ticket and a very special thank you to GMSA member and club officer, Jerry Smith (SASS Hunter Sam) for hand-building our newticket tumbler. Mr. Smith is a fine woodworker and put together a first class ticket tumbler that will be very useful when we resume our 50/50 cash raffles in Janurary 2015! Our next gun raffle will be for a Glock pistol from Guns & Gear in Lavonia! Tickets will be available Janurary 5th, 2015!
- 11/03/2014 - GMSA members please be reminded! The range will be very busy this weekend and shooting spaces as well as parking will be very limited! Pistol bays #2, #3 and the Shotgun Range will be the ONLY open spaces available for GMSA member use. Please no member parking on the pistol bay concrete. We are hosting the IBS GA State Match on the rifle range (Sat & Sun), The Piedmont Regulators will have their SASS match on pistol bays #4, #5 & #6 (Sat 11AM until 4PM - closing the 50-yard range) and the IDPA members will be having an SO Certification class in the clubhouse and pistol bay #1 (Sat 8AM until 4PM).
- 10/11/2014 - Turnout for our Public Sight-In day was disappointing...ZERO. Maybe it was a bad day, is it too late in the year? We advertised on radio stations and email. Is this no longer a service that the public is interested in? Shooter feedback is greatly appreciated so we can decide on whether to continue this next year. Special thanks to GMSA Members Bill Mercure, Scott Harrison, Jim Hudak and Matt Kervin for manning the range today.
- 10/11/2014 - Please be mindful with the club AC thermostat setting. While onsite today, a club member came into the clubhouse late in the morning and found it cold enough to hang meat! The temperature inside was 62° and the thermostat was set to 60° which meant that the AC (not the heat) had been running full blast while trying to make that 60°. All shooting groups and disciplines be reminded that the thermostat need not be set below 65° just to make it comfortable inside the clubhouse. This is a waste of our club resources. The use of the GMSA clubhouse is a privilege extended by our members, to the various shooting disciplines that use our range. Please be considerate and conserve as you would at home!
- 10/06/2014 - Our fundraising raffle for the AR-15 rifle is almost sold out. We are down to the last few tickets. We will draw the winning ticket at our November club meeting - Stay tuned here for the drawing results!
- 10/06/2014 - GMSA will also host a public sight in day on Saturday, October 11, 2014. This event is open to the public so our local hunters can have a chance to sight in their rifles on our 300 yard range. Sight In day is FREE and open to the public but all shooters must be supervised by our Range Officers. Range Officers will open the gates at 8AM. Local residents and hunters are welcome to come by and zero in that rifle.
- 10/04/2014 - By popular vote of the Tactical Pistol Shooters, our annual shoot at the Toccoa Police Department Range will be held on Saturday, December 20. This match will take place of our regularly scheduled Tactical Pistol Match.
- 09/30/2014 - GMSA Executive Committee announces it's 5-year Range Improvement Plan.